Mill City Walk

by Stacy Enzmann, Nick Rosencrans, Allan Tokuda, Jennifer Strahan, Andrew Ulven, Adam Ness, Alison Link, Cody Mastel

Scroll ▼

Gold Medal Park

Gold Medal Park is a 7.5-acre (3.0 ha) park next to the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Designed by landscape architect Tom Oslund, the park is owned by the city of Minneapolis and opened in May 2007. It takes its inspiration from the Dakota Indians burial mounds that are found through Minnesota. It consists of a 32-foot-high (9.8 m) mound, reached by a spiral walkway rising out of a green lawn with 300 trees. The park, just east of the Guthrie Theater, provides the Mill District neighborhood with some rare green space.

Activities >>

Guthrie Theater

The Guthrie Theater, founded in 1963, is a center for theater performance, production, education, and professional training in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the result of the desire of Sir Tyrone Guthrie, Oliver Rea, and Peter Zeisler to create a resident acting company that would produce and perform the classics in an atmosphere removed from the commercial pressures of Broadway.

Activities >>

Mill City Museum

Mill City Museum is a Minnesota Historical Society museum in Minneapolis. It opened in 2003, built in the ruins of the Washburn "A" Mill next to Mill Ruins Park on the banks of the Mississippi River. The museum focuses on the founding and growth of Minneapolis, especially flour milling and the other industries that used water power from Saint Anthony Falls.

Activities >>

Mill City Ruins

Mill Ruins Park is located on the west bank of the Mississippi River in downtown Minneapolis and is adjacent to St. Anthony Falls and the Stone Arch Bridge. As the centerpiece of the revitalization of Minneapolis' historic West Side Milling District, Mill Ruins Park combines an exploration of the history of Minneapolis with present day activities for all ages.

Activities >>

Stone Arch Bridge

The Stone Arch Bridge was built in 1883 by railroad tycoon James J. Hill for his Great Northern Railway, and accessed the former passenger station located about a mile to the west, on the west bank of the river. The structure is now used as a pedestrian and bicycle bridge.

Activities >>

St. Anthony Falls Lock and Dam

Saint Anthony Falls, or the Falls of Saint Anthony, located northeast of downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota, was the only natural major waterfall on the Upper Mississippi River. The natural falls were replaced by a concrete overflow spillway (also called an "apron") after it partially collapsed in 1869. Later, in the 1950s and 1960s, a series of locks and dams were constructed to extend navigation to points upstream.

Activities >>

Thanks Wikipedia!